Sunday 22 March 2009

Mother's Day!!


Today is Mother's Day in the UK and my family got together to enjoy the day together and to show our mother some love... and of course yours truly was nominated to be the chef of the day... now that I've shown them that I know my way around the kitchen, it's going to be hard to back out of it.... oh well the sacrifice I have to make. The deserts were made on Saturday as usual due to the time factor and everything else today. I got up early, made breakfast thensettled into getting my meal ready at around 13:00 pm, I commence my chopping, dicing, whisking and mixing of the required ingredients.

As I was unable to/forfeited cooking fish last week I decided that irrespective of the fact that my twin was going to be around that I would cook fish and I was not willing to compromise, he had to either eat it and enjoy or don't. I was not in the mood for more meat this week.

This week I went all out, after all Mother's day is only once a year, and she has been cooking for me for the last 26+ years, so it's about time I repay her right. I decided that as everyone was coming over and also being mother's day that it was an occasion to bring out the china and crystals and set the table for a change.

I made 2 starters and 2 deserts to accommodate the kids.





The starters for the kids, I made before but as they enjoyed it so much the last time I decided to treat them to it once more, after all it's not so often that they get to eat my cooking; they had cheesy sausage bites, whilst us adults had prawn tortillas, and my they were nice but spicy there was a certain kick to it which was unexpected and had everyone dashing towards the water dispenser... but they enjoyed it and did not let the spice stop them from eating it, even my nephew surprised his mother by eating one despite the heat.

Main course: Even though I strive to eat and cook different foods each week, it was somewhat more West Indian inspired as i try my best to accommodate the varying likes and dislikes of my family members, rice for my nieces, macaroni cheese pie for my twin and nephew and everything else everyone would have with no fuss. I saw this interesting recipe with Tuna Steaks but couldn't find any Tuna in the three shops I visited so I settled for some Jamaican Talapia. These were seasoned and left to marinate overnight prior to cooking, they were then lighlty covered in flour (seasoned with mixed herbs) then fried for roughly 2 minutes each on both sides, before being placed in the oven with onions and sweet peppers for another 10 minutes prior to serving, and it was delicious. Having fish was such a welcoming change and everyone complimented the meal and ate to their hearts content.





Deserts were: Stem Ginger and Pineapple Pavlova ( I know it's a repeat: but my nephew loved it so much and I promised him I would make it for him: I'm such a push over). I also made vanilla ice-cream, I have only had a small helping of the ice-cream but the feedback from those that had it including my mother was that it tastes very nice.

I do so love when others compliment and enjoy my culinary attempts.

I am bone tired but it was worth it: I love you Mom!!


I know I have yet to post a few recipes on here, I have been slacking of late.... updates to follow throughout this week...sorry all.

3 comments:

  1. looks good... i was in bed on sunday starving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! you really went all out- sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks A, it was wonderful... Lion-ess... I tried calling your house...was trying to call my second mom...say hi to her for me.

    ReplyDelete