Sunday 1 March 2009

It is not as EASY as it seems!


Very early this week I decided that I wanted to cook lamb... I settled on a dish of Moroccan Lamb Tagine served with vegetable cous cous and honey glazed carrots.... followed by a desert of Orange and Passion Fruit Sorbet. It all seemed relatively easy and complimented each other well and I figured it will be fine to do it all on the day as opposed to making the desert the day before.

It was not a great start: first of all I read the recipe for the sorbet slightly wrong and assumed that I would easily be able to make it on the day... not so... luckily on second glance last night I realized that the juice mixture needed to freeze for at least 2 hours prior to mixing in the whisked egg whites. I decided that to ensure that it was made properly that I would need to wake up for 9:00 to get things started. I complicated matters further by going to bed at 2:30 am and felt absolutely shattered by the time my alarm went off signaling that it was time to get up... I dragged myself out of bed and got ready for a morning in the kitchen. I prepared the juice mixture fine.. then thought perfect time to chop and season my meat prior to cooking.

Having done my shopping on Friday evening after work and picked up what I thought was a nice cut of Lamb Shoulder... again I was wrong as what looked like 3lbs of meat turned out to be 1 1/2 lbs meat and 1 1/2 lbs of fat... (yuck) . I spent almost an hour cutting, chopping and getting rid of excess fat then seasoning, another 15-30 minutes was spent chopping up and getting the other ingredients ready. By the time I was finished I was shattered.. just enough time to shower and relax for a short period prior to attacking the desert again.

I whisked the egg whites then added this to the juice mixture trying to fold in the eggs into the juice... as the recipe stated it would not fold for the life of me... It looked like juice with egg whites floating on top. I whisked, beat, all to no avail... finally I had a wise idea how about leaving it in the freezer for 30 minutes or so and see what happens... well what happened... nothing... it started freezing the way it went in... juice with a floating egg white island.

Another brain wave... What about blending it??? I took out my blender and proceeded to blend the mixture together... It finally worked.... finally I had a mixture that was one consistent color... YAY...

Back to my meat I proceeded as per the recipe ensuring all ingredients were halved, as I had less meat than anticipated. It turned out presumably how it should. In all honesty I have never had lamb Tagine but I figured I can try making it because you really can't knock something until you try it right.

After doing so... I am very unsure as to whether I would actually ever attempt this meal in the future. Somehow it did not quite appeal to my pallet. My twin and his girlfriend came by.. and I guess we're two peas in a pod as he didn't like it either. My mom she said she enjoyed it better than the curry so I guess that's saying something about it... as on any given day I would have the curry over the Tagine, and my twins girlfriend liked it to an extent I think.

The desert was the only part of the meal I liked... thankfully something I liked.



But hey please don't let my review stop you from trying it yourself....

2 comments:

  1. yuck! get the fat off chicken- or lamb in your case- always makes my stomach flip. I sorry, sometimes things like that happen--it sucks. I happened to me when I tried to make Flan. I put heave cream in when the recipe called for regular milk, it didn't grow. It was very good but looked like a train wreck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol.. well in this case the recipe was followed to the T...I reduced ingredients to accommodate for not having the required amount of meat... I just did not enjoy it... oh well... maybe someone can convince me that Tagine is nice.

    ReplyDelete