Monday 25 May 2009

East Indian Influences- My Soca Memories


I was up until 2:00am last night, doing not a lot much, stumbling to my room, I realized that I could hear the sweet sounds of music emanating from above, one of my neighbors was obviously having a party. I listened carefully trying to distinguish the beats and lyrics of the song playing and I realized to my surprise that it was recognizable to me, it was the sweet sounds of SOCA. I felt immediately like gate crashing even though I knew not whose party or where exactly in the building it was coming from. I hadn't listened to SOCA music in quite a while and I was longing for it like an alcoholic to alcohol. My memories took me back to my trip home to Vincy in 2006, when I had an absolutely fabulous time with my best friend JP and his friends and got familiar with the songs of that period.

I was lying in my bed gyrating to the songs from above, finally I was lulled into sleep. Today I had to listen to some Soca in particular a CD of music I had from that year, I played it at full volume and stood on my balcony singing loudly in my out of tune manner and gyrated my hips to the sweet addictive hip moving sounds of Soca... one particular song I couldn't wait to hear was 'Dont Stop' by Shurwayne Winchester. It's Soca with a twist of East Indian influences and makes me dance every time...


1 comment:

  1. I have odd attachement to indian cluture...I'm not sure why but I love it. =)

    ReplyDelete