Tuesday 5 May 2009

Am I Over-Reacting?


As some of you may or may not have read in a previous blog entry; I am not exactly close to one of my sisters. In my attempt to slowly reconnect with her I decided to share a few of my poems with her. Not because I wanted her opinion or critique but just for the sake of sharing, as even though I've been writing since 05/06 I have never shared them with anyone within my family.

I know you're wondering what my point is but patience, I'm getting there, So I sent her 2/3 poems and she decides to share them with her co-workers.. fair enough, she replies and said she liked them.. fair enough.

Today I'm sitting at my desk at work, and in pops 2 Emails from my sister, the first was the Poem I wrote titled I am What I am, written for the My Identity Series by my friend and fellow blogger Lioness. A colleague who she had decided to forward my poem to decided to TWEAK it or so she says, now tell me; Did I ask for a critique, then again it was not a critique it was an amendment to my work................. I was mad, but I thought better of conveying this to my sister since she's so touchy to begin with.... my response, 'thanks but I prefer it the way it is and you can convey that to her'. It totally made it sound so sucky....to me anyways... If I wanted to convey how my family members may perceive me I would have n'est pas?. I am not a Proud African...I am a Proud West Indian ...hence the ending phrase... I am not English European as my father's foreparents were Potuguese, as far as I am aware, there is proably English, Dutch and French somewhere in the make-up for all I know based on the Caribbean's history hence the collective term.

This is What she DID..her amendments as you like are written in blue next to my original words....grrrrrrrrrrr.... Am I over-reacting to be feeling upset about this?

When asked who I be

A swirl of answers I identify (A swirl of adjectives identity me)

I am a loving Daughter

A loyal sister,

A lover,

An listening auntie and a loving grand-daughter.


If anyone inquires about my identity;

A multitude of responses I see

I am a Proud African,

A n English European,

A Caribbean Arawak,

A Carib, a Garifuna.

All of these are me.


When asked who I say that I am

Only a few responses are truly me (Only a few responses you'll get from me)

I am a product of man

A quintessential human

A mixture of many nations

I am simply a West Indian

A wonderous product of our one God's hand.


Copyrighted© 2009 By DDS 06/04/09



The other poem I sent my sister is called Le Fruit Inderdit (The Forbidden Fruit). It is about the 5 senses and I deliberately wrote it so that It can be opened to interpretation, whatever someone wants to take from it is up to them


Le Fruit Interdit

I see you

Rosily fresh

Glistening wickedly

Appealing

Tickling nostrils

Musky and manly

Your heady cocktail

Alluring

Ears perked

Heavenly baritones

Thrums and unwinds

Relaxing

Stirred up

Hard and sublime

Soft when required

Charming

To sip

Your sweet nectar

I desist

Afraid but

Aspiring


Copyrighted© 2008 By DDS


Her response: It's good...Samuel is obviuosly young....I twitched my nostrils at the second verse. The thought of sniffing a manky man at my ages is just not appealing!!

Did I ask her to sniff anything... and can you tell from reading this that the author is young is it because I can perceive sniffing a man... or so she believes.........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr And Who says it's about a man......... and who's man is she calling manky???

4 comments:

  1. I'm the same way, I have stories and poems hidden away that have only been seen by my eyes. That was a very brave thing for you to do, to attempt to connect with your sister.
    And No, I don't think you are over-reacting. But on the otherhand I'm prone to over-reactions soo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...I called my friend Lioness and she was upset for me as well so 2/2 don't think it's over-reacting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think she meant to be hurtful. But what kind of person (the coworker) rewrites someone's work? That's really strange to me. If I were the coworker, I would have expected your sister to be offended for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think My sister meant to be hurtful..but I can't quite think what she was thinking to send it on to me.

    ReplyDelete