Monday 4 May 2009

I Remember You So Well... Charles William Nathaniel Jack.


15 Years ago on the 1st May 1994 you were taken away from me.

God had decided that it was time for you to come home. I still remember you so vividly and those memories of you I hold dear to my heart. You were the epitome of a Grandparent, a father to me while my dad your eldest son was away. I loved you so much that losing you was surreal at the time and even now it still seems like it was only yesterday.

I recall the days when you were stern, laying down the law in your gruff voice, but always open to my wheedling, granting me almost everything I asked for. My first attempt at cooking a meal was for you and even though it was not perfect you were thankful and grateful of my attempt. I remember the days of trekking your gun from one house to the other, held aloft for fear of accidentally shooting myself (even though you'd never send me for it if it wasn't safe for me to hold). The Extra Strong mints you always carried and bought extra of, just for us; your grandchildren, even now, my cousin religiously buys these.

For nearly a week as you lay in hospital where I was unable to see you at will and finally after my days of counting down until Sunday after church when I can finally come and visit you myself and see how you were, the sad news, delivered in the House of God; you had passed away, never for me to see you alive again, never for me to hug, never to hear you scold me so lovingly. Even now I can see myself as I was that day, bewildered, unwilling to believe what I had heard, and years after listening to the song; 'It is well withmy Soul' still brings me to tears every time, as only you I can think of.

RIP Grand father: Charles William N. Jack.... you are gone but definitely not forgotten...

4 comments:

  1. I'm sooo very sorry for your lose!
    I offer no words of condolences because there are none that heal the pain left my such a lose. All I can say is I know how you feel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel, at least I know he's watching over me... time flies, I still can't believe it's 15 years already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl tears are streaming down my face. I know daddy loved all his grandchildren. No matter what we did he never withheld from us. And yes those Extra strong and Murry mints. Who can forget(lol). I really miss my grandfather. Proud to be a Jack, proud to be William Jacks' granddaughter and even though its' been 15 years his legacy still lives on. Jack 2 d bone.
    Love you Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you there Hud's I spent a good 30 minutes last night typing this and crying. And yes his legacy still lives on... I may not carry the surname but I am still definitely proud to be a Jack and prouder still to have had him as my Grand Dad.

    ReplyDelete